Easy salmon cabbage roll recipe poached in comforting chicken broth, with an extra savory crunch of the baked salmon skin!
Salmon Cabbage Rolls with Crispy Salmon Skin
- 150g salmon fillet (Remove skin. Leave skin for baking. Cut fillet into 2 equal pieces)
- 2 – 3 big cabbage leaves
- Sea salt and white pepper for seasoning
- 1 small onion (Diced finely)
- 2 cloves garlic (Diced finely)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 corn (Cut into 4 pieces)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp Hua Tiao Chiew
- 10g Wolfberries
- 1/2 tbsp Potato starch mix with 1 tbsp of water
- Egg white from 1 egg
- To bake the salmon skin, pre heat oven at 180 degrees.
- Pat dried salmon skin. Place in between 2 baking papers. Bake in the oven for about 15 -20 mins till salmon skin is crispy.
- Remove salmon skin from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To prepare and wrap the cabbage rolls, start boiling a pot of water and add 1 tsp. salt when boiling. Completely submerge the cabbage leaves and cook the cabbage until the leaves are pliable, about 2 minutes. Use a kitchen tong or chop sticks and remove the cabbage leaves from the pot.
- Soak the cabbage leaves immediately in iced water to stop the cooking process. Remove the cabbage from the cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Trim the tough, thick center vein at the base of each leaf (upside-down V shape). Chop the thick veins into small pieces, which will be added to the salmon.
- Overlap the bottom of a cabbage leaf where you see the upside down V-shape. Place a piece of the salmon in the center of the bottom part of the cabbage leaf. Season salmon with sea salt and white pepper.
- Wrap the salmon with the cabbage leaf like a spring roll and secure the end with a toothpick. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan and add in oil.
- Add in onions and saute till translucent. Continue to saute with garlic till fragrant.
- Gently place the cabbage rolls into the pan and give fry slightly by turning the rolls every 20 seconds once.
- Add in the chicken stock, Hua Tiao Chiew and corn. Cover the pan and let it boil for about 6 mins.
- Remove the pan cover. Use a kitchen tong to gently remove the cabbage rolls from the pan and place onto a serving plate after removing the toothpicks.
- Remove corn from the pan and cut corn from the cob.
- Add in the wolfberries and stir in the potato starch mixture to thicken the broth.
- Drizzle the egg white in a circular motion around the pan.
- Pour the broth into the serving plate with salmon cabbage rolls and add in the corn.
- Serve hot with the crispy baked salmon skin.