These delicious cake pops are fun and easy to make with your kids. Personally, I prefer to make mini cakes and coat them, instead of the usual ones with frosting mixed with crumbled cakes. Firstly, it is lesser of a hassle to keep leaving the pops in the fridge to firm up before coating. Secondly, knowing that kids will be enjoying more than one of these cake pops, I used peach yoghurt as a healthier choice in this cake recipe. You can also choose to use store bought mini cupcakes to make these cute little sweet things.
They are a definitely a huge hit at Christmas parties delights for both kids and adults!
Christmas cake pops
- 1 Cup of Plain All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup of Caster Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 140g Cup of low fat peach yoghurt
- 1 Egg
- Red and green gel colouring
- 18-20 thin straws/lollipop sticks
- 100g White Semi sweet chocolate/ Candy melts
- 250g Coloured semi-sweet chocolate/candy melts
- Grapeseed Oil/coconut oil/shortening
- Candy/Sprinkles decorations
- To make the mini cup cakes, preheat the oven at 190 degrees.
- Grease the mini cupcake tin with oil.
- Combine well the wet ingredients – peach yoghurt, egg and vanilla essence in a bowl/ measuring cup with a spoon.
- Combine well the dry ingredients – flour, baking power and castor sugar in another bowl with a whisk.
- Form a well in the bowl of dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well.
- Use a spoon to stir in the wet ingredients till all are combined to a thick batter.
- Divide the batter into 3 portions
- Leave one portion for the original colour (optional).
- Dip a few drops of red gel colouring into the second portion and green colouring into the third portion and mix well.
- Fill each cupcake mold with the original coloured batter into till 2/3 full (optional).
- Fill each cupcake mold with the green coloured batter till 1/3 full.
- Continue to fill the green coloured batter with 1/3 of the red coloured batter till it is 2/3 full in total.
- Bake the mini cupcakes in the oven for 10-12 mins.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and cool the cupcake tin.
- Remove the cupcakes from the mold and cool completely on the cooling rack.
- To assemble the cake pops, melt the white semi-sweet chocolate/candy melts in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until completely melted and smooth. Add a tsp at a time of grapeseed oil/coconut oil/shortening until the chocolate/candy melts is a good consistency for dipping.
- Dip the end of one stick into the melted white chocolate/candy melts, gently insert the stick into the bottom centre of the mini cupcake.
- Place the cake pop onto a baking try lined with baking paper and allow white chocolate to harden (5 minutes -10 minutes).
- Melt the coloured semi-sweet chocolate/candy melts in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until completely melted and smooth. Add a tsp at a time of grapeseed oil/coconut oil/shortening until the chocolate/candy melts is a good consistency for dipping.
- Holding the stick, lower the entire cupcake into the bowl of melted coloured chocolate, spooning it over the top and sides to cover it completely.
- Allow the excess chocolate/candy melts to drain off for an even finish
- Add candy/ sprinkle decorations on top or around the chocolate coated cake pop.
- Gently insert the cake pop onto a thick styraform board to completely harden.
- Wrap a plastic over the cake pops and/or store in an air tight container.