Tagine is a North African stew of spiced meat and vegetables prepared by slow cooking in a shallow earthenware cooking dish. I would say that it is similar to Indian claypot stews with more subtle, refreshing flavors.
My recipe includes a few shortcuts such as using cube stocks and canned tomatoes to shorten the cooking time. Yet it does not compromise on the flavorsome, savoury & zesty homey taste of the tagine.
Easy Spanish Moroccan fried fish tagine
- 600g Tengirri fish (cut into fillets or cutlets)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp potato starch
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 chicken cube
- 1/2 vegetable cube
- 3 -4 threads of saffron
- 800ml water
2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 6 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger (minced finely)
- 1/2 green chilli (deseeded and chopped finely)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp ground almond
- 1 tbsp honey
- sprig of coriander (chopped)
- ½ green chilli (sliced)
- Season fish evenly with salt, egg white and potato starch and set aside for 15 mins
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Fried fish on both sides till golden brown. Drain from oil and set aside.
- Mix chicken and vegetable cubes into 800 ml of water. Soak the saffron in the stock and leave to steep.
- Heat oil in a pot or claypot. Add the onion and cook for a few mins until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, green chilli, cinnamon stick, cumin powder, coriander powder and paprika powder and cayenne pepper to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and saffron, chicken & vegetable stock. Simmer for a 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add the ground almonds, lemon juice and honey. Simmer another for 10 mins, until the tomatoes have broken down and the sauce has thickened a little.
- Add the fried fish to the tagine/stew. Cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish the fried fish tagine with the coriander and green chilli and serve.