I have tried many versions of traditional steamed chinese yam cake (Orh kueh). Till now, the one that left a lasting impression is my grandmother’s version. Her yam cakes are simple, with no fancy ingredients, yet so full of yummy yam bits and shrimp flavors. I love how the heat, sweetness and crisp from the garnishes work so nicely with this savory dish. This recipe is based on the memories of those flavors I have remembered as a kid.
Do give it a try. You may take a liking to my simple and wholesome version of traditional yam cake.
Traditional steamed chinese yam cake (Orh kueh)
- 800 g yam (Peeled and trimmed, cut into small rectangular pieces)
- 4 cloves garlic (Chopped finely)
- 50 g dried prawns (Soaked in 100ml water till soft,drained and chopped roughly. Reserve prawn water)
- 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
- 4 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- A dash of white pepper
- 5 tbsp cooking oil
- 250-300 g rice flour
- 80 g tapioca flour
- 500 ml water mixed with 1 chicken stock cube/ 500ml chicken stock
- 1 stalk spring onion (Chopped)
- 1 red chilli (Chopped)
- Fried shallots
- Roasted white sesame seeds
- Dark sweet sauce
- Shrimp chilli paste (optional)
- Whisk rice flour, tapioca flour and chicken stock till well combined . Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok on medium heat. Stir fry yam till slightly soft. Remove yam and set aside.
- In the same wok, heat remaining oil and stir fry dried prawns, garlic till fragrant.
- Lower the heat, add in yam, five-spice powder, light sauce, sesame oil, salt, white pepper and reserved dried prawns liquid. Stir fry till the dried prawn water is absorbed by the yam.
- Add in the flour stock mixture and stir till mixture thickens to a batter form. The thickness of the batter will depend on your preference on the firmness of your yam cake.
- Transfer the batter into a lightly greased deep tin or lined with baking paper. Level and smoothen the top of the batter. Steam for 40-50 minutes or till inserted skewer comes out almost clean. Cool completely before slicing.
- Transfer sliced yam cake on a serving plate. Garnish with spring onions, red chilli, fried shallots and roasted white sesame seeds. Drizzle dark sweet sauce and serve with shrimp chilli paste at the side (optional).