Making fish otah from scratch can be a little tedious but satisfying. Normally, I will wrap my otah paste in banana leaves and bake them in the oven. Sometimes, I do find it troublesome to wrap and unwrap just to eat them.
Why not just stuff them in yong tau foo. That way, I can immediately eat them after baking. In addition, the crispy baked tau poks and other vegetables give the extra crunch and compliment well with the taste of the spicy otah!
I have included the recipe to make the otah paste. However, for your convenience, you can choose to use store bought otah for your yong tau foo stuffings. Try it and enjoy!
Easy baked stuffed yong tau foo with otah
- 20 g dried chilies (hydrated with water, drained and chopped)
- 30 g fresh red (chopped)
- 3 stalks of lemongrass (chopped thinly only the non fiberous portion)
- 150 g shallots (chopped)
- 1 thumb size galangal ( chopped)
- 5 candlenuts
- 15g-20g belacan
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 500g mackerel/ tengirri (skinned and blended into paste)
- 2 kaffir leaves (sliced thinly)
- 1/4 tsp potato starch
- 1 egg
- 100 ml coconut milk
Yong tau foo
- 3 Tau poks (halved diagonally and slit the inside for otah filling)
- 3 fresh red chillies (cut length wise and deseeded)
- 3 ladies’ fingers (cut length wise and deseeded)
- Oil for brushing yong tau foo
- Blend 1-9 into a fine paste
- Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the paste till the oil separates from the paste
- Add sugar, 1 tsp salt to taste
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool down.
- Combine well cooled chilli paste, mackerel/ tengirri, kaffir leaves, egg, potato starch and coconut milk
Assembling and baking the otah yong tau foo
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Lower to 180 degrees just before placing yong tau foo into oven.
- Stuff tau poks, red chillies and ladies’ fingers individually with the otah paste.
- Place stuffed yong tau foo onto a baking tray line with baking paper
- Brush oil generously onto the stuffed yong tau foo
- Bake them in the oven for 15 mins or till cooked.
- Remove from the oven. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.