My family’s weekends are normally reserved for sinful indulgence. We will dive ourselves into anything that is rich in fat, carbo and high in unhealthy calories. Once the weekends end, I try to make a point to prepare healthy meals for my family on weekdays.
This easy, oiless recipe has simple ingredients yet tasty to the palette. All I do is just throwing in the ingredients into a pot and braise for about 30-40 minutes. Keeping my ingredients at room temperature, helps to speed up the braising process.
I prefer to boil the cabbage and carrots instead of throwing them directly into the pot to braise. This extra step removes the strong bitter taste from the cabbage as well as to speed up the process of softening the carrot. I also realised that I wouldn’t need to added too much sauces to mask the bitterness from the cabbage. In addition to the fact that I don’t use oil, this recipe, still retaining its flavors, is made healthier!
Do give this recipe a try and let me know if you feel the same way. There is always room for improvement. Your feedbacks are greatly appreciated! 😊
Easy braised vegetables with prawns
1) 500g cabbage (sliced)
2) 1 small carrot (sliced)
3) 200g dried mushrooms (pre- soaked, drained and stems removed)
4) 20g dried prawns (rinsed)
5) 20 cloves garlic (skin removed)
6) 1 litre boiling water
7) 2 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
8) 1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
9) 1 tbsp mushroom vegetarian sauce
10) 50g fried dried beancurd skin
11) 50g glass noodles/ sweet potato vermicelli
12) 150g raw prawns ( de-shelled and deveined, leave tails intact)
13) 1 tbsp potato starch mixed with 1 tbsp water
14) white pepper to taste
15) 1 sprig coriander leaves (remove leaves from stem)
16) 1 fresh chilli (sliced thinly)
1) Place cabbage and carrots in bowl. Submerge them in slightly salted water (1/2 tsp salt). Boil them in a microwave for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2) While boiling the cabbage and carrot, add mushrooms, dried prawns, garlic, oyster sauce, mushroom sauce, dark soya sauce and boiling water into a pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Add cabbage, carrots fried dried beancurd skin and glass noodles/ sweet potato vermicelli. Continue to simmer for another 20 minutes.
4) Add in the prawns and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes or till prawns are cooked. Add white pepper to taste.
5) Stir in the potato starch to thicken the sauce.
6) Remove pot from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves, chilli and serve.