Amidst of all the responsiblities that we have in our daily life, it is always comforting at times to have a satisfying homecooked meal. I have friends (singles and married) sharing with me about how they wish to cook something delicious yet really quick with minimum preparation for themselves, friends and family. Honestly, though I love experimenting different tedious cooking techniques, I am guilty as charged to have moments like them too.
Whenever my family craves for spicy seafood, I will whip up this easy sambal prawn recipe, which only require about 30 minutes of cooking time.
The secret to this recipe is canned pineapples. Personally, I prefer sliced pineapples to cubed ones. Though the cubed pineapples are more convenient during preparation, the sliced pineapples have the right thickness when biting into them. You can do a comparison and decide according to your preference. You can also choose the store bought sambal prawn paste based on your own liking.
From the first mouthful, you will taste the sweetness, tanginess, savoriness and spiciness in that order. These flavors compliment superbly with the crunchy texture of the prawns and pineapples.
Subsequently, this recipe became a popular dish among my friends during gatherings and parties. If you love all the flavors that I have mentioned in seafood, give this recipe a try. You will probably fall in love with both the taste and easy preparation of this dish!
Easy 30 minutes sambal pineapple prawns
- 500g frozen raw prawns (defroze, rinse and pat dry)
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 big red onion (sliced thinly)
- 1 big can sliced pineapple (about 500g plus depending on the brand,cut them into 6 pieces per slice and reserve the syrup from the can)
- 6 tbsps sambal chilli paste (Singlong Nasi lemak sambal chill brand -4 tbsps and Singlong sambal chilli prawn brand- 2 tbsps)
- 1 sprig of coriander leaves (chopped roughly)
- 1 fresh red chilli (Deseeded and chopped finely)
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat
- Add the onions and fry till translucent
- Add in prawns and sambal chill. Fry for about 5 mins
- Add in cut pineapples and syrup from can. Fry for another 10 minutes or till prawns are cooked.
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer to a serving plate
- Garnish the dish with coriander and red chilli.
- Serve it with rice.