I love having long hair as much as cooking awesome food. However, it really annoys me having my hair sticking onto my face and neck whenever I perspire.
This annoyance is aggravated with the recent hot and humid weather. My hairdresser has to shorten my hair to ease the hassle of tying it up to keep myself cool and calm…
Another avenue to soothe my nerves is to replenish myself with plenty of liquids especially from fruits. What’s more ideal than to prepare one of my favourite thirst quenching fruits, watermelon!
And so, watermelon salad was born in one of my recipes collection! The sweetness of the watermelon, compliments nicely with the subtle savory taste from the creamy cream cheese and the acidity of the honey balsamic vinegar.
This refreshing salad recipe is easy and simple to prepare. I personally feel that it is an ideal appetiser to start your family’s meal. Moreover, it is also pretty enough to take centre stage at gatherings and parties.
Summer watermelon salad with cream cheese and honey balsamic gel
1) 500g cut watermelon (shape and size is based on your preference and chill in the fridge )
2) 1/2 cup cream cheese
3)1/2 cup honey
4) 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
5) 1 tsp gelatin powder
6) 2 tsp water
7) 3 sprigs of mint leaves (Remove leaves from stems)
1) Combine gelatin powder with water. Set aside to let the gelatin bloom.*
2) Add the honey and balsamic vinegar to a saute pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil over medium heat
3) When it begins to boil, lower the heat so that the vinegar is just simmering. Cook until the liquid reduces by more than half, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. It will turn into a thick syrup.
4) Stir in the bloomed gelatin mixture into the warm honey vinegar syrup. (note. The syrup has to be warm before adding the gelatin mixture. Gelatin doesn’t set well in hot temperature.) Leave it in the freezer for 30 minutes or till the syrup mixture is set.*
5) Once the syrup mixture is set, blend it and store it in the fridge till your are ready to serve your salad.*
6) Add the chilled watermelon onto a serving bowl. (note. you can place them onto individual spoons as shown in my picture for guests.) Crumble the cream cheese and sprinkle onto the watermelon. Drizzle with the honey balsamic gel. Garnish with mint leaves and serve.
*Note. You can choose to omit the gelatin step (1), (4),(5) and drizzle the honey balsamic reduction directly on your salad.